Congratulations on taking this first step toward buying a home. Pride of home ownership is indeed one of life’s greatest joys and biggest accomplishments. It is an exciting time and my hope is that this guide will bring clarity and peace of mind during your home buying journey.
Let’s get started! The first step is deciding where you want to live, what type of home you are looking for and what features are “must have’s” or “would be nice to have’s” in a home. Invariably, there will be tradeoffs, but rest assured I am here to help sort through the options to find you the best house, at the best price and with as many of your wants and needs as possible.
- What type of home are you looking for? Single family, semi-detached? Apartment or townhouse?
- What about the age of the home?
- How many bedrooms and bathrooms do you need?
- What are you looking for in a kitchen, family room? Do you want a separate dining room? What is your preferred layout?
- What are your high priority features? Appliances, ensuite, fireplace? View?
- What other types of rooms do you need? Main floor laundry room, home office?
- What about parking & storage space?
- Are proximity to transit & school important?
- Is energy efficiency important? Newer windows or a high-efficiency furnace?
- How is your daily commute? How easy is it to get to the places you need to go?
- How close do you need to be to transit, shopping, schools, hospitals?
- Are there any important location factors? Backing on to parks, road traffic?
- What size of yard or balcony are you looking for? Is the backyard important? Or is a side yard okay? What about the front yard?
- What other landscaping features are important? A fenced yard, play areas, pool, gardens?
- Is it important what direction the house or condo faces?
- How much do you want to invest beyond the purchase price of the home in
terms of financial or sweat equity, if you can’t find all the features that you want?
- How long do you plan to live here? That can impact the type of home, the
location and how much you will spend.
- If you are looking for a condo, is the possibility of having a pet important?
Making an Educated Offer
The on-going communication and education you will receive from Monica will empower you to get the best possible deal on the home that you desire.
You’ve found the one. Fantastic! Here’s what happens next:
- I will conduct a detailed CMA (Comprehensive or Comparative Market Analysis) complete with comparable active and expired listings, recent solds and historical data relevant to determining the market value of the home. This will empower you to make an informed decision.
- I will prepare an offer that protects you, follows your instructions and matches your schedule and needs.
- I will explain the details of the offer, the terms and suggest options for specialty clauses ensuring you know exactly what you are agreeing to.
- I will present and negotiate the offer on your behalf to get you the home that you want at the price and terms you want.
What happens after this:
- The seller may accept your offer – congratulations!
- The seller may reject your offer – not common, but it can happen and I would endeavor to find out why.
- The seller may counter your offer, changing the terms of the offer and present the offer to back to you.
- Our negotiations continue to reach agreeable terms between the seller and yourself, or until I know an agreement cannot be reached and it is time to walk away.